Sunday, December 16, 2007

57s FTW

It was early in a poker game last Friday when I was dealt 57 diamonds on the button. Now for some reason I like 5,7, and I like them even more when they are suited. For a bit of fun I decided to have a play around with them.

57s is not a hand to be raising with but I decided to raise them 8xBB (which was around a third of my stack!) and try out some post flop skills. Unfortunately for me I had four callers, including the tightest player on the table, who normally only plays premium hands. I was only aiming for 1 caller.

I preyed for a low flop.

The poker gods listened to me and I hit a straight draw, but with 4 other people in there I was sure someone had at least a pocket pair.

It was checked all the way to me, I debated to go all in and take the pot there and then, but I bottled it and checked too.

The turn was a high card, but yet again it was checked to me, and yet again I made a mistake in checking. I really should have had ago at taking the pot but I didn't.

The river dropped a 9, which gave me my straight but again it was checked all the way to me. As I was the last person to act I didn't really know what to do. I decided to make a small raise, in an attempt to show that I was playing a scared bluff and hopefully get a couple callers and take as much chips as I could.

It turned out better than that, the small blind re-raised me all in and everyone folded and I insta-called and flipped over my straight. No one could understand why I played 57s like the way I did, as I have a TAG image, but this time it worked out for me.

No comments: